Sunday 14 December 2008

Blogger's Block

I start on this new post with no topic in mind. I am having a blogger's block.

We have just returned from our vacation in Singapore. If I were to write about what we have done there, I am sure that would be worth a few entries. But my blog is not really themed like the old-fashioned diary. Sure, sometimes I do document what we do, but I'd like to write on more than "on such a day, we did this, on other days, we did that".

Rather, if I were to write about our trip to Singapore, I would reflect on the great generosity of time afforded to us by the children's grandma, uncle and aunt - the thoughtfulness of their various actions, gifts and accommodation to the children's requests. Needless to say, the children enjoyed being pampered and Son No 3 has issued a dictum from nowhere that every two months, we have to go to Singapore :)

Now, what's the underlying reason for the blogger's block? There seems to be a close correlation with "holidays" but really, I have deduced that it is this: the lack of personal thinking time. During the hectic term time, while driving on the frequent routes to and from the different schools, very often I sit in the car alone, or with one child. I could be seething in the jams or cruising down the highways but inevitably, my thoughts will flow. Ideas for my next blog post will germinate and I would have already formed the sentences in my head.

But what the heck, it's the holidays! I know I have blogged before that the school holidays are really the holidays for students and teachers, and not necessarily for stay-at-home moms. But it is a holiday for chauffeurs, of which I am one too. And so, let's enjoy the break... the break from introspection.

No comments: