Tuesday 29 July 2008

Champion Of All Games

Son No 1's current ambition in life appears to be the reigning champion of all games in his Facebook account, where he is being challenged. He is on his way to seeing it becoming a reality.

I remarked dryly that he should keep up his competitive spirit and apply it to his classmates when the new school term commences in late August.

Seriously, I am quite amazed that he can keep up with so many computer games. OK, it is his main (and only?) preoccupation, but still?

I surmised that it is the way their brains are wired these days.

I was observing him playing a certain strategy game when I asked him how did he learn to play the game.

Like that-lor.

Did you read the manual/instructions?

Huh? (I must have sounded very last-century)

Did your friends teach you?

No need-la.

Then how did you learn?

Like that-lor.

All the time, when he was playing the new game, he was clicking here and there briskly... you can almost see his mind working furiously. Well, if I have to put a name to it, it is probably called experiential learning. It is what schools in Singapore are trying to teach.

I am ambivalent when it comes to my children playing computer games. I know they distract the children and take away their time from reading and other meaningful activities. Nevertheless, I also know there is no way we can shield them completely from the cyber world. At the end of the day, it is discipline, discipline and discipline. I watch out for time excessively spent on computer games (addiction), playing any one game that borders on obsession and the values espoused by the game, overtly or otherwise.

For myself, I am hopeless when it comes to playing new games. My favourite computer game is The Sims. But I do not like it when the game designers add too many new functionalities to the game in newer versions. Just keep it simple, for goodness sake.

My brain is already firmly wired.

No comments: