Monday 4 August 2008

A Mother's Love

"I love you, mummy."
"I love you too."

"I love you very much."
"I love you very much too."

"I love you the most."
"... I love you very much too."

The above dialogue is played out almost every night with my two younger boys before their bedtime. I am most touched when they look into my eyes and tell me they love me the most... not sure if I am being laid a trap here because I cannot say the same that I love either of them the most... I have to be very careful not to give the idea that I love one of my boys more than the others.

In fact, I would hesitate to say that I love them equally. What is true is that I love each of them deeply but there is no way to quantify or prove that the love for them is equal.

So I never say, "You are all the same and I love you all the same."

Instead I say, "You are all different and I love each of you in a special way."

No comments: