Saturday 29 November 2008

Another Vacation, Another Year

Son No 1's year-end vacation officially started yesterday. But unofficially, his vacation has already started last Monday when he finished his last exam paper. During this past one week, he brought his MacBook to school almost everyday and played on-line computer games (his whole school is wired) because there were no lessons.

When Son No 1 came home from school each day, he quickly adopted a new regime. He would grab a bite (snacks or instant noodles with a mug of hot tea), then check msn, thereafter go through our DVD collection to choose 2 movies to watch. Then he'd disappear into his room to watch the movies on his MacBook - back-to-back - until dinner time. After dinner, it is on-line games and more msn. How's that for a languid lifestyle?

So, what movies has he been watching?

Monday - Mamma Mia, The Devil Wears Prada
Tuesday - Ocean's Eleven, Nim's Island (aborted, too boring)
Wednesday - The Sentinel, The Pianist
Thursday - Three Kingdoms - Resurrection Of The Dragon (mandarin), Bourne Ultimatum
Friday - The Godfather Part 1 (aborted, too much talking), Escape From Huang Shi (mandarin)

And you'd thought he was watching cartoons and slapstick comedies???

Actually, it's not a bad idea to have a movie binge. I wish I had that option when I was a student. In a way, I envy him because there are so many good movies that Son No 1 has yet to discover. And he has all the time in the world to discover those gems.

Looking at his choice of movies (I only helped him choose one and that is The Pianist, which we watched together - for me, the second time, for him, the first time - and I was glad to note that he was thoroughly engrossed in the Holocaust tale), I can't help but think of the Abba hit, Slipping Through My Fingers. My firstborn, whose height is now above my ear, has started showing that absent-minded smile....

No comments: