Friday 27 June 2008

Me A Blogger And A Blogsurfer

I am a late adopter to the world of blogging by most accounts. There are millions of blogs out there, most belonging to real people, like you and me. It is such a pleasure to get to know fellow bloggers... people who use it like an on-line diary, sharing what they do on a day-to-day basis, revealing their innermost thoughts.... people who want to further what they deem a worthwhile cause... people who just enjoy writing and getting their writing published (moi!).

It may seem a contradiction, this thing about private thoughts that are posted for all to see. But this is precisely the power of blogging, when the readers (we all hope) are often strangers and are non-judgmental . This is the medium where one can say what one wishes to say and does not need to find the right moment, the courage and the audience to hear what has to be said.

Although I used to limit myself to a diet of political blogs, I have since broadened my horizon. Having sampled scores of personal blogs, I am slowly keeping a list of my favourites. I am now following the lives of a Malaysian law undergraduate in Melbourne, a SAHM of three living in Boston, a graduate office worker in India and a Muslim engineering student at a Malaysian university. What they all have in common is their sincerity (you can feel it) and their ability to turn the most ordinary experience into an interesting piece of writing with surprising perception and uncommon insight. As you may guess, I am not particularly fond of those blogs which are big on pictures but are miserly on words. There are some blogsites like Wordpress, like what its name suggests, which do host some very good quality writing.

I have found myself enriched as I browse others' blogs. Joining in a birthday celebration, a shopping trip, travels to China, first-date anxieties, morning-after blues, first-step joy, exam triumphs, flight delay frustrations... It is serendipity at its best.

Now for a motherhood question: one quickly realizes from the many common shared experiences of people all over the world, that the human race infinitely has so much more in common than differences; why is it then that humans cannot get along?

Well, I did say it is a motherhood question.

No comments: