Sunday 22 June 2008

A Responsible Pet-Owner

It will be Son No 2's birthday in ten days' time. His favourite aunt from Singapore, Ping Yee, who has a knack for giving thoughtful presents that are well-received, has come up with the idea of getting a pet for him. Given the space constraints of our 1900 sf apartment, it will need to be a hamster (or similar rodent), fish or terrapins. Son No 1 has had fish and terrapins before and the unanimous choice now was the mammal.

When quizzed how he would take care of his pet, Son No 2 was quick with his answer. There were 5 things that he needed to do, he declared. He named them:
  1. Give it food.
  2. Give it water.
  3. Bathe it.
  4. Clean its home.
  5. Play with it.

Wow, I was impressed. He must have read it somewhere or got it from some TV programme. [Though he did not know that hamsters hate water and they do not need to be bathe - I read that from Wikipedia.]

Anyway, off we trooped to the pet shop at Ikano Power Center to recce this afternoon. To my surprise, when we surveyed the various pets on display, Son No 2 was not excited. Instead, he was worried. He was worried that he would not be able to take care of his pet.

And so, we did not make any purchases today. He said he would think about it. And just now, before falling asleep, he told me he was still thinking about it.

With that, I am now convinced that he will make a responsible pet owner. I will have no qualm about getting him a pet, when he feels he is ready.

2 comments:

Jolene Zheng said...

To yew hui,

I recently bought 2 books for him during a book fair. Shall I say they are from you?

Jolene Zheng said...

You've got a point there... BUT I am thinking of deleting these comments soon. So if you want, we can still go ahead with the books!