Thursday 1 January 2009

Click - Not Another Review

Today is the first day of 2009. It is probably cheesy to write a review of 2008 and/or a list of resolutions for 2009. So I am not going to do it.

Instead, I am going to write about the Adam Sandler movie that we watched on DVD last night, Click. Briefly, this 2006 comedy is about a busy, up-and-coming architect who constantly needed to balance work under a demanding boss and a charming family consisting of a pretty stay-at-home wife and two children aged 7 and 5. One day, he landed a universal remote control that allowed him to control his life, like a TV box. He could fast forward his life when he hits rough patches, pause his life to give him time to do things that suited him, or rewind his life to specific past moments in his life.

Ya, it is another time travel show - and it was appropriate for us to watch as a family (minus Son No 3 who is still very selective about the type of shows that he could sit through) on New Year's Eve. Of course, when we began watching the show, at the recommendation of Son No 1, who had watched the show alone when we were in the Gold Coast, we were just looking forward to it as another comedy. But there is good food for thought from this show...

As I reflected on the show on New Year's Eve, I find myself asking what would I have done if I have this gadget with me. Fast forward my life? Pause my life? Rewind? I am not about to reveal in this public blog what my action or actions might be, or to which point I would like to rewind or fast forward, if indeed that was desirable. Private thoughts are sometimes better reserved in the remote recesses of the mind. And I have already been more than honest in this blog of mine.

But I would like to invite you, my dear readers, to pause for a moment and think about your life too.

Oh no, I hear you say, is she going to be moralistic and highbrow about things? Well, the answer is no, obviously *twinkle*

What I am saying is this: it's the start of a brand new year, I know the tills are ringing in the shops with fabulous post-Christmas sale, but it's timely that we take stock of our personal lives. In the mad whirlwind of these modern times, I know how easily it is to lose track of time and find that oops, yet another year has passed.

Going with the flow could mean precious years lost. Think about it.

No comments: