Monday 5 January 2009

Random Ramblings

- Son No 2 flipped through my wedding album and commented that he did not recognize his daddy. But mummy looked the same. I couldn't resist asking him, "Did mummy look like a princess?" He answered, "Yes!" Such a sweetie. BTW, he also did not recognize a lot of other people, but for diplomatic reasons, these names shall not be revealed here. Son No 3 asked me, "Who made you look that way?" My dear, mummy DOES look like that, what do you mean?!!

- I just love the way Son No 3 play Pet Society - so unbridled by convention. His pet can walk around without clothes and he does not think twice about changing the pet's name. He is absolutely tickled pink that his pet is now called, "Name" - so he could say, "My name is Name!" Before this, he plagiarised the name of his aunt's pet, but in caps, COPPER. He loved it when we got confused about which Copper we were referring to when we played the game. How did he earn his trophies? By buying and selling clothing items immediately. Son No 2 shook his head and said such a waste of money. But to Son No 3, money is but a means towards getting what he wants. *grin*

- Today, I found myself asking, if I have one wish, would it be for "safe driving" or "good health"? Hmm... tough one. Now that I am back behind the wheels, my fellow road users are getting on my nerves again. Patience, patience.

- Is it just in my house or are mosquitoes generally getting larger in size? Dunno if it's a different species or what, but we are seeing giant mosquitoes here, easily >1cm in length. These lumbering giants are not difficult to catch as they are pretty conspicuous. We all participate in this sport in our house - mosquitoes-slapping - and even Son No 3 is getting quite adept at it. Whatever it is, mosquitoes remain a bane in our lives.

- Chinese New Year is approaching like a speeding train. The malls have switched from playing christmas carols to guo xin nian in the blink of an eye. Santa Claus is giving way to the God Of Prosperity. Christmas trees to pussy willows. Turkeys to waxed ducks. I am scrambling to do my CNY shopping. Son No 1 has already put in a request to buy lots of waxed ducks, his all-time favourite CNY delicacy. My mom has requested for nga-ku chips and love letters. The festive spirit here, in the Chinese-dominated part of town, will only get more and more .... festive. Better be prepared for the throngs of crowds.

- Did anyone notice the redundancy in the title? Ramblings are by nature random, so there is no need to say random ramblings... but it just sounds nice!

No comments: