Thursday 22 January 2009

US Presidential Inauguration

Well, I might as well add my 2 cents worth...
The newspapers, as some of us would have noticed, have gone into overdrive talking about the 44th US President Inaugural Ceremony. Ya, as an active citizen of the global community (ahem), I stayed up til 1 am and watched the inauguration speech live.

The whole thing was pretty interesting, not much different from watching the Academy Awards. They would announce the former US presidents who are still around and they would troop out with their wives, smiling and waving to the gallery... 4 pairs of them - Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter (they're still around - peanuts must be good for the health), Bush Sr and wife, Bill and Hillary Clinton and finally, Bush Jr and wife.

I must say, Hillary looked gorgeous - for a woman hitting 62 this year. But I wondered, as millions must have wondered too, what was she thinking behind that megawatt smile?

I have forgiven Barack Hussein Obama for winning the Democratic nomination since 1) he has given the Secretary Of State post to Hillary Clinton and 2) he is an intellectual - I always have a weakness for this rare male species. I realised how much this species is to be treasured since George Walker Bush mumbled, fumbled and bumbled his way over this past 8 years.

And then, they announced the Winner of Elections 2008. BO swaggered to the podium and I just couldn't take my eyes off ... his ears ... sorry.

Now, I don't follow the news of the latest pop stars as much as I follow the tabloid news surrounding the First Family. Mark my words, mustard/yellow will be the fashion colour of 2009 since Michelle wore it for the inauguration. And for guys, single button jackets with single-pleat pants, as worn by the President.

One thing struck me - all the recent US presidents have daughters only, no sons.
- Malia and Sasha Obama
- Barbara and Jenna Bush
- Chelsea Clinton

I tend to notice these things :)

What did I like most about the ceremony? Yo-yo Ma playing in a classical quartet with some of world's most gifted musicians. I thought that was a really nice touch.

No comments: