Monday 19 January 2009

Second Piano Lesson

I don't mean to blog about every piano lesson that Son No 3 attends BUT what a discovery - Son No 3 loves playing the piano!

It's like a dream coming true - for me!

You see the picture above - that's Son No 3 coming home from school and heading straight for the piano. Nope, it's not staged, lol, though subsequently, I did ask him to smile for the camera. And guess what, he has not even taken his lunch at that time!

Son No 3 has been practising on the piano at his own initiation everyday and he does not need me to sit next to him. He is eager and flips to the more advance pages to learn more. He asks me questions on notations that look strange to him and promptly tries all the pieces in the book, sight-reading as he goes along.

In fact, his progress has been remarkable. He can play practically the whole elementary book after his second lesson. His favourite tune of all is Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" (or some call it "Song Of Joy") which, I might add, is one of the pieces that he learnt on his own.


Before his second piano lesson, Son No 3 asked me if he would miss any piano lesson over the Chinese New Year break. When he learnt that there will be a 2-week break from piano lessons, he groaned. How unexpected! Usually I would be greeted by cheers if this announcement was made to his brothers.

This is a novel experience for me - a son who gives me hope that he will master the piano for the sheer joy of music. I know it's only the second lesson and I am not holding my breath. Don't mind the gushing mum, but as I have been saying, it is a promising beginning :)

No comments: