Friday 13 February 2009

Celebrating Love

Tomorrow will be another busy day for us. Besides the usual Chinese and taekwando classes for the boys, we need to fit in two more items on the agenda: Son No 2 has a full school day (as replacement for the CNY holidays) and Son No 1 needs a haircut - badly.

So this morning, after breakfast, I started discussing with hubby how to organize the day - whether we need to split up our driving duties and so forth. Then hubby reminded me gently - that it's Valentine's Day tomorrow.

OMG, I could literally feel my mind re-booting itself to process that bit of information!

It's not like I have been living in a vacuum. Despite the gloom on the economic front, the media and the shops have been advertising V-Day, as has Pet Society :) I have even bought champagne and roses for my pet, lol! But still it had not registered.

And now suddenly, the pieces started to fit together. My newly-wedded niece in Singapore has told all her Friends on Facebook that she could not wait for Saturday because her hubby had planned something - and believe it or not, before this, I couldn't connect it - I thought it was just another special weekend for the couple.

Just goes to show how having a family and parenting responsibilities can take the wind out of romance. It's not that we have always celebrated V-Day in a big way - I don't like the feeling that I am being extorted by the shops on V-Day. As we all know, the prices of roses and dinners shoot through the roof due to high demand. Courting couples have no choice, I guess... But for us, we have always preferred to celebrate our birthdays or wedding anniversary.

But still... on this special day, we should think of something that we can do as a family. After all, V-Day is not only for lovers, but for all those who want to celebrate love.

2 comments:

yuenyim said...

happy valentines day!!!

Anonymous said...

Same to you! I remember fondly my college days when it comes to Valentine's Day - so enjoy yourself!