Friday 20 February 2009

The Pet Society Champ

Son No 3 is the biggest fan of Pet Society, the computer game on Facebook.

Those who are Friends with Son No 3, and have been playing the game, will realise that over the past two weeks, Son No 3 has soared in his rankings. It may appear that he has been spending an excessive amount of time playing the game... but I can vouch that he has not played more than usual, which is about an hour daily. He has also maintained the same number of Friends because I do not allow him to anyhow add on Friends.

What happened was that he has found the .... secret, if you like.... to the game and has managed to level up very, very quickly. I know the "secret" but am not about to disclose it here :)

I do keep a close watch on how my boys play the game (or any game, in fact) and I must say I am quite impressed with how Son No 3 plays Pet Society. He analyses the game, sets a goal, is single-minded about achieving this goal and understands the concept of trade-off..... (wow). Ya, wow. But really... let me explain.

Two weeks ago, Son No 3's pet, Name, was ranked third in the game among his Friends. He decided to set an immediate goal to beat Copper, then at second place. And to do that he knew that he had to accumulate paw points so that he could level up.

So, Son No 3 tried this and that and finally, voila, he stumbled upon a strategy! He was visibly excited and I must admit that I was excited for him too. It was a simple strategy. But now I understand why he sold off everything that he owned - it was not due to any whim - but really, to get coins which he could convert via some indirect means to points. That's why his pet's house was bare and the pet was not clothed. To him, it was no sacrifice - he just did what he needed to do.

Meanwhile, the rest of the family shared in his excitement as he would update us daily how close he was to achieving his goal.

After he has beaten Copper, I thought that was it. But no, Son No 3 has set his sights higher. His next goal was to beat Snuffles. Snuffles was way above him in terms of points at that time but bit by bit, he chipped off the difference until one day, he emerged top in the rankings. He was on top of the world!

Even then, he continued to play until he estimated that he was 3 days ahead of Snuffles. Only then did he relax. Now, he plays more leisurely and has finally spent some of his coins buying clothes and furniture.

I have learnt a lot about my son from this episode. But I am not going to go all-heavy and do an on-line analysis of him here (I shall do it in the private recesses of my mind :)) When I see my children, each with very distinct set of characteristics, I am more convinced than ever that, as the Chinese saying goes, it is easier to shift a mountain than to change a person's basic character. Some traits are truly inborn.

4 comments:

yuenyim said...

tsk..tsk..the only reason why name beat snuffles cos her owner is really busy nowadays..so she decided to sacrifice her pet society time for her never ending assignments.
her newest one is to write a feature article..kind of worried on that one actually..
thank you yoke wah yee, for mentioning snuffles..! do u know the origin of her name?

this post has spark the fire in snuffles owner and she will continue to play with even more determination..hahhah!!

just wait!!..and she will be discreet too cos she is a ninja..!

Jolene Zheng said...

Haha... wah, so many pet society fans!

So wat's the origin of Snuffles' name?

yuenyim said...

i though you or your kids would have figured it out..
its sirius black's nickname in the harry potter series. :)

Jolene Zheng said...

Hah, I never knew... I'm not good at HP trivia...:)