Saturday 14 February 2009

Don't Just Follow Law!

Singaporean drivers..... ah, they're a lovely lot.... really. They Just Follow Law.

I was amused to read the deluge of forum letters to the Straits Times recently, following a complaint by a lady driver that nobody gave way to her when she wanted to change lane during a Causeway jam. She claimed she got into the wrong lane and signalled her intention to change lane but all she got were dirty looks and a concerted effort by drivers on the next lane to inch their cars even closer so that she could not slot in. Some forumers accused her of trying to cut queue while others blamed a whole range of factors ranging from social ills to Mas Selamat.

Wa, what a big discussion on what is a daily occurrence here! Now, if they were driving in KL, they would know that, alamak, that was nothing-la. A skilful Malaysian driver will always manage to slot in, no matter what.

When Singaporean drivers come to KL, they are bent on observing the rules. Like me when I first returned here to live. (Pause) I soon learnt the hard way. Let me share some of my learnings:

1 When In Doubt, Always Do As The Locals Do

At Sri Hartamas, there is a one-way street in which everyone drives one-way... the other way. If you are new to the area and you want to follow the directional sign correctly, you will land yourself in trouble. At SS2, there is a traffic junction where you can turn left even when the traffic light is red. And everywhere, nobody follows lane markings. Of course, Singaporean drivers are not expected to know all these local norms. That's why the rule is: when in doubt, just follow what the locals do.

2 Don't Be Geh-Kiang (think you know best)

There was once I parked at a proper roadside parking lot and I wondered why so many cars shunned those lots and preferred to park further away. Two hours later, I found the answer. Unknown to me, that street at Subang Jaya had pasar malam that night. When I returned to collect my car, I found it surrounded by pasar malam stalls and there was no way that I could remove my car. I had to wait until 11pm.

Parking is one of the motorist's major woes (see picture below) - cars trying to pack like sardines.



3 Amber Light Means Please Accelerate

Do not slow down when you see the traffic light turning amber. This is because all the other cars behind you are actually accelerating to beat the red light. Heaven forbid if you should attempt to stop your car at amber light - your back may very well be kissed.

4 Red Light Does Not Always Mean Stop

Listen, when traffic is heavy and the average speed of cars is below 20 km/h, some traffic rules do not apply. For example, when the traffic light turns red, at least 3 cars can still go through. I promise you, that's the norm and you will not be fined. As for safety, remember what I said that this is only applicable when the traffic is slow...

5 Be STREETsmart

I know this is a tall order for some Singaporeans (can't resist the dig!) but I will offer some practical examples:
  • Empty your bladder before you commence a journey, even if it is 5-minute drive - a traffic jam can strike anytime (see below). Guys, have those airline doggie bags handy for quick relief.

  • Always give way to those really old cars - they have nothing to lose if they hit you.

  • Remember the Motorcycle is the King of the Road here. Motorcyclists whizz and weave, tempting fate day in, day out. They are the most defiant of traffic rules too....

One bin too many...








Helmet is not enough... rubber tyre for extra protection











All in the family.. a common sight









Shifting house...local style










But don't be daunted. Amazingly, most Malaysian drivers are very seasoned (they spend a lot of time on the road) and will know how to keep safe. They may honk you but it's ok, you will learn.... as I did.

Photos courtesy of The Star On-Line.

No comments: