Monday 2 February 2009

What Does Mummy Do?

Yesterday, Son No 3 was discussing one of his favourite topics again - what he was going to be when he grew up.

"I want to be like Mummy when I grow up," he declared earnestly.

My face lit up. I was flattered. But I was not exactly sure what he meant. Which aspect of my life was he talking about? So I asked him, "What is it that Mummy does that you like?"

"Do nothing," he grinned.

Wait a minute. He likes it that being a Mummy means doing nothing? Oh, I geddit. Mummy does not go to work and so she does nothing.

In my mind, I can just imagine, if his class teacher were to ask the class, "Children, what does your mother do?", you will hear a dozen voices shouting - my mummy is a nurse, a manager, a lawyer, an accountant, a whatever... and when it is Son No 3's turn, he has nothing to say. His mother does nothing?

It's ok, he's probably too young to understand. But then, even Son No 1 tells his teachers that his mother is a lecturer - which is not factually incorrect - but it does show that being a stay-at-home mother is not something that is worth mentioning. And Hubby, who is generally supportive, occasionally slips and says things like, "So what type of stress do you have?" Millions of people think that being a stay-at-home mum means doing nothing. So don't blame the poor 5-year-old.

But it's really ok. Like what my dear sister said recently, I do not need to justify myself to anyone, I only need to justify myself to myself. If I tell people how my life revolve around the children, and how I arrange my life around the children's needs, I will only sound pa-the-tic.

Nevertheless, I make a mental note that when I start my new semester at the University this Sunday, and go to work, I will make a big deal out of it - just so Son No 3 will remember and have something to say if his teacher or anyone were to ask him what his mother does.

No comments: