Tuesday 16 September 2008

Battle With Mosquitoes


Yesterday, Son No 3 told me that he wanted a frog for his pet.

Why, I asked, taken by surprise.

He told me in a huff, "... because frogs eat mosquitoes!"

That about describes the deep enmity that my Son No 3 feels towards mosquitoes.

Son No 3 is a magnet for mosquitoes. He sleeps in the same bedroom as Son No 2 but he is the one who ends up with all the mosquito bites. When we go to the playground, I will make sure that he is drenched in anti-mosquito spray, but he will still end up with mosquito bites. The mosquitoes here, I am convinced, are already immuned to whatever means that man has ever thought up of to obliterate their presence.

In our house, there is a wide array of anti-mosquito devices. We have tried all types of devices that are offered in this enterprising market. Such devices claim to do some of the following:

  • attract them by light and CO2, then trap them
  • send them to death by electroculation
  • repel them through high frequency pitch
  • repel and destroy them through chemical means.
None works all the time and none works in totality. The last resort is really the barrier method - seal the house with mosquito netting. That would be quite drastic and might not be foolproof either.

Meanwhile, I have stipulated that Son No 3 must wear his long pyjamas pants at all times when he is at home. At first, he was happy about it, but later he complained that the mosquitoes would then go after his feet. So now he can wear socks in the house if he chooses to. Poor thing.

It's not only in the house that Son No 3 has the mosquito problem. There was one afternoon when he cried all the way in the car coming home from school. His legs were itchy from mosquito bites in school and he must have been feeling very frustrated. However, as it was the "tantrum" type of cry, I chose to ignore him. Though I sympathised with him, he must learn to manage his frustration and have better control of himself. No choice.

And he has learnt. That's why his protest is now more mature and a matter-of-fact. I'm referring to his comment about getting a frog for a pet, of course!

Sigh! When will this battle with mosquitoes end?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like Mother Like Son! If I'm not wrong, when we were growing up, the mosquits always liked you better than me and your poor legs showed for it!

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right! It's still the same for me. Hubby escapes the mozzies because I am there!