Thursday 4 September 2008

Teachers' Day

Teachers' Day in Singapore has come and gone. Over here in KL, Teachers' Day is not celebrated on September 1st, so the date slipped my mind.

Until I started receiving sms-es from Singapore.

Some of my ex-students have not forgotten me. I was touched.

There are some students whom you teach, and you teach them well, and they go on to score A's, enter good JCs/polytechnics and university. And as their teacher, you feel happy for them.

And then there are some students whom you know you have made a difference to their lives. These are normally the troubled students - social misfits, delinquents or academically-stressed. A teacher cannot "save" all of them. But when a connection is made, and the teacher is able to do something for them, the impact on their lives is forever.

That's why I find teaching so rewarding.

Two of the sms-es came from two students whom I know we had that special connection. They used to have difficulty adjusting to the social environment and had no friends. One of them was a "flame" victim who was scalded real bad. Her only fault was that her appearance was not pleasing to her tormentors. The other was a quiet girl from mainland China who was too hardworking for her own good. Now, although I was not very effective in counselling those really naughty students, I could relate very well to those students who are deemed outcasts. By giving them back their confidence to face the world, a significant difference can be made.

And hearing from these two students on what they are doing with their lives now, I feel truly gratified.

I may not have saved all the starfish, but I did manage to save some.

No comments: