Thursday 4 September 2008

Science Lessons In The Car

I often wonder how less educated moms cope. No, this is not an egoistic statement. I am contantly bombarded by questions by my three sons. And many a time, I have to terminate further questioning with "Life's like that, dear" as the last resort.

Son No 3 and I had another one of those conversations today in the car, where most of our conversations take place. I thought I should record it quickly before I forget.

The night before, Son No 2 was heard urging Son No 3, in his best elder brother voice, not to scratch the mosquito scars on his legs because the scars would bleed and if he lost too much blood, he would die. Son No 3 dismissed it with a "No-la", but evidently he was uncomfortable with the thought.

Just now, when Son No 3 and I were alone in the car, he sought confirmation and reassurance from me.

"Is it true that if we have no more blood, we will die?"
"Yes."
"Why is blood so important?"
"Well, blood brings food and oxygen to all parts of the body so that they remain healthy and can grow."
"What? Blood can bring food?"
"Oh, not the whole piece of food, but the good things that we get from the food we eat."
"What is oxygen?"
"Oxygen is found in the air that we breath. Without oxygen, we can die."

"Why is there no oxygen in outer space?"
"Err... I don't know. Only Earth has oxygen."

"How do we make oxygen?"
[Chemical equations involving the manufacture of oxygen flashed across my mind. No, don't be silly. Of course, that's not what he is asking.]
"There are many ways to make oxygen but on Earth, we get most of our oxygen from plants."
"How do plants make oxygen?"
"When plants make food, they make oxygen as well. That's why plants are very important."
"I see, now I know why there is no oxygen in outer space!"

I stopped to think for a while. Somehow, he has connected the mental images of the dark and barren outer space, with no trees, with the lack of oxygen and now in a convoluted way, he thinks he has found the answer to his original question on why there is no oxygen in outer space. Because there are no trees there! Voila! The thinking process is really interesting.

But that's not the end of it.

"Can oxygen pass through walls?"
"Hmm... no, I don't think so. Why do you ask?"
"We are now in the car. How can we get oxygen?"
"Oh, through the air-cond. But if the air-cond is off and the windows are not wound down, then we will not have enough oxygen and we can die."
"How long?"
"What do you mean?"
"How long before we die?"
"Hmm... I don't know. Maybe two or three hours..."
"Oh, so long." He was relieved.

Ya, that's my life. Wiki-mom to a 5-year-old. Wait till you hear about the questions I get on evolution versus creationism. But that's another story for another day :)

No comments: