Tuesday 9 September 2008

Palin, The Wrong Role Model

My hubby watched me rave about Hillary Clinton early this year and now rant at Sarah Palin at every opportunity. I can almost read his mind: what does the American Elections 2008 have to do with ordinary citizens, especially a stay-at-home mom, in this part of the world? Ah, men just don't get it. I will reveal the connection later.

It is obvious that Hillary Clinton and Palin are both women, going after high profile jobs. Why do I support one and not the other? Particularly, why am I so antagonistic towards Sarah? Three reasons:

  1. As a thinking person, I do not support her beliefs and policies.
  2. As a woman, I think her nomination is a setback for feminists.
  3. As a mother, I think she is not a good role model for our daughters.
I shall focus on point no 3 here. Don't think I am nuts, I know I have no daughters. But that does not mean I am not concerned with how our (as in humankind) daughters are raised in this modern world. These daughters will be the future wives of my sons and mothers of my grandchildren. I need to know that they are getting the right message on what defines a woman. [Ah, see the connection now?]

Well, it's not that I will become this dominating mom-in-law. But coming back to my point on Sarah Palin, she is not going to be the right role model for our daughters. She is signalling that
it is alright to relegate the family and the role of the mother to the background. She is going to endorse that children are no longer the most important happening in a mother's life.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against working women. I have always been pro-choice, that is, it is the woman's choice to work and continue to take care of the family, or to stay at home to take care of the family.

But whatever it is, the family, especially a young family, must figure prominently in a woman's life. Stay at home dads are great, but there are things that a man just cannot do. They are not made that way.

Consider this: 3 days before the due date of her youngest child, Palin flew to Texas to give a voluntary speech. To me, it was a reckless decision that unnecessarily endangered her unborn's life. During her speech, her water bag broke but she was cool about it and she continued with her speech. She then flew back all the way to Alaska to give birth.

Three days after the birth, she was back at work. Three days! Was the birth a non-event? She did not take maternity leave. Even Tony Blair took longer paternity leave. Palin carried her blackberry and breastpump with her. At least, the baby should be grateful that he can enjoy the mother's milk, although the mother is not present.

I repeat, I am not against working moms. Heck, I was one myself for a long time. I know how difficult it is to hold on to two full-time jobs. And I respect those who can do both jobs well. But this woman places career firmly and way, way ahead of her family. Her newborn is only 4 months old and has Down Syndrome. What does that say about this woman? Is this the type of role model that we want for our daughters?

Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, is the role model for our daughters. Witness her close relationship with Chelsea and the fine woman Chelsea has turned out to be. Look at Hillary's brilliant intelligence, her empathy for the working class, her support for her husband when he was in the White House and recently, her magnanimity in speaking up for Obama. In spite of adversities, Hillary has shown tremendous strength of character. To me, Hillary Clinton is truly admirable. She is the one our daughters should emulate.

As to points number 1 and 2 on why I will not support Palin, I will save that for another forum.

No comments: