Thursday 11 September 2008

Snippets

The Worm And The Egg

Out of the blue, Son No 2 said to me with a somewhat self-important air, "I know how you got a baby. Daddy’s worm went to your egg and a baby is formed!"

(Pause) "But how did the worm get into your tummy?!!”

The Backstage Of The Shopping Center


Son No 2 likes to follow me when I do my grocery shopping at Carrefour, Mid Valley. I tend to time my trips there after sending Son No 3 to his kindergarten. That means we reach the shopping center before the shops open at 9 am.

To Son No 2, it is exciting to see the shopkeepers getting ready to open their shops, like mopping the floor, dusting or getting ready the goods for display. I suppose it is like visiting the backstage before a concert.

True Bred and Learner Malaysians

Son No 3 may be born in Singapore but he is truly bred here. He started his pre-school here when he was four and has never sung the Singapore national anthem. This picture shows the collage of the Malaysian flag that he made in school just before the National Day.

Son No 2 spent two years in Singapore pre-school but he does not remember much about Singapore. Nowadays, he likes to sing all those patriotic Malaysian songs at the top of his voice at home. He doesn't understand the Malay lyrics, I am sure, but that does not stop him because they sing those songs in school every other day.

Son No 1 has spent more time in Singapore than in Malaysia. Recently, I noticed that he has named Kuala Lumpur as his hometown in his Facebook account. That is a good sign that he is settling down.

As for me, I am still reading the Straits Times faithfully, participating vociferously in the forum pages and discussion boards. Issues that affect Singapore still concern me. Nevertheless, when I visit Singapore on holidays, I no longer feel like I am going home. The reverse is true now. I suppose home is where the heart is.

No comments: