Monday 8 September 2008

Not Another Busman's Holiday

When the idea of an overseas holiday during the Christmas break was tossed over the weekend, my reaction was muted. It was most unlike me. I am worried. I think I may be suffering from burnt-out.

The way I see it, an overseas holiday is a break for the maid. Let me be the maid.

The idea of a holiday was actually raised by me. It would be between winter in the north and summer in the south. Either way, the children would love it. The next question then is free-and-easy or tour group?

A free-and-easy holiday with four demanding males will mean meticulous planning in advance and perfect execution, with no opportunities for replay. It is hardly free and easy for the planner. We all have different needs and high expectations. If anything goes awry, as things are likely to in a trip, four fingers would point this way. I will be the most stressed up person on the trip. I already am, just thinking about it. Can anyone empathise with this feeling? The strange thing is, before this, I used to love organizing trips. Do we need a psycho-analyst here?

I thought a possible compromise would be joining a tour group. Now, I have never been a fan of tour groups. It's correct that you get herded around like sheep and your time is not your own. But what's so bad about that? It would be a hassle-free holiday. There will be no quibbling over the programme, no need to look at maps and the whole family will be either singing their praises at the tour agency or throwing brickbats. But at least, the family is one in spirit.

In the ideal world, parents should take at least two holidays a year, one holiday by themselves and the other a family holiday. That's what all the experts would advise. But things do not always work out so satisfactorily. Even one holiday is difficult to manage sometimes. This is the real world.

No comments: